Much like setting up a home for small children, there are steps that you can take to make your home more pet friendly. Think safety, easy-to-clean, and fun for them. Your furbabies can feel right at home when you set them up to succeed – they want to feel as safe and comfortable at home as you do!
Start with a pets-eye-view of your home. Get down on all fours and look around your house. This is a good way to spot the trouble your pet can get into.
- Create a little nook space just for them
- Keep window covering cords short
- Make sure they can’t access high places
- Cover trash or keep it in a closet
- Don’t store food on the counter
- Make sure indoor house plants are not toxic
- Make sure your windows have screens – cats can fall out of high windows
- Keep a storage bin near the door for pet accessories
- Choose tile floors instead of carpet or wood for easy clean-up
- Choose fabric that are germ and stain resistant for furniture
- Groom your pet regularly to cut down on shedding, and scratch damage
- Outside, remove toxic plants from your yard
- Keep pet food in a covered container in a temperature-stable place
- Choose bedding, rugs, furniture in your pet’s hair color to disguise shedding